All turf deliveries require up to 7 working days to fulfill.
Turf deliveries are only made on Monday- Saturday only.
Our delivery driver will call you the day before your order is due to confirm delivery time.
Please note: All turf will be delivered to the nature strip only.
Developed by the University of California, Santa Ana’s entry into Australia can be traced back to importation by Anco in the early 1980’s and the then Department of Agriculture Frankston Turf Research facility.
Santa Ana is a hybrid couch and produces sterile seed. It can therefore only be propagated from sprigs or turf. It produces a dense, soft lawn and makes an excellent turf when managed correctly.
This fine leafed couch grass is a warm season grass which thrives on sun and heat. A Nullarbor Santa Ana lawn is tough and durable and looks best when mown short, 10-20mm.
Santa Ana turf needs occasional verticutting or scalping under low-wear conditions. Excellent for high wear play areas as it will tolerate considerable traffic, but is typically intolerant of heavy shade, preferring 6-7 hours of sun per day. Perfect for north facing situations.
Nullarbor Santa Ana Couch has a short dormancy period of approximately eight weeks over winter in Southern Victoria (depending upon frost frequency).
Hardwearing in nature, Santa Ana is less invasive than other creeping grasses. Santa Ana can be cut extremely short and can be used as a home golf green.
Square Meters Needed
- Rhizomatous and stoloniferous
- Fine Leaf
- Reviews (20)
- Home Lawns
- Commercial landscapes
- Golf tees & fairways
- Tennis courts
- Cricket wickets
- Croquet greens
- Excellent drought tolerance
- Fine leaf
- Salt tolerant
- High wear resistance
- Short dormancy period
- Tolerant of recycled water
- Adapted to a wide range of soil types
- Apply Lawn Solutions Australia lawn food in September and again in December. Remove thatch each spring in mid to late November and follow this with an application of Lawn Solutions Australia lawn food and a deep irrigation.
- Topdressing with sand or loamy soil to achieve a level surface minimises turf scalping. Topdressing can take place after full recovery from de-thatching processes or at any time during mid-late spring.
- In summer the use of wetting agents will keep the turf green and reduce the incidence of hydrophobic soil.
- In March apply Lawn Solutions Australia Lawn Food to enhance root production prior to winter dormancy
Regular mowing improves the quality and look of a Nullarbor Santa Ana lawn. A manicured look can be achieved with Nullarbor Santa Ana if mown short. It should not be left longer than 25mm, as thatching and scalping tendencies will increase. The ideal mowing height is 8-15mm. It can be mown shorter (6mm) if mown with a cylinder mower regularly in spring and summer. Less frequent mowing is required in autumn and winter. If a very short lawn is required (6-8mm) biweekly mowing in the growing season will be necessary to avoid scalping.
Nullarbor Couch is widely used as it makes a good environmentally friendly surface for your yard, playing field or parkland area when frequently mowed every 5-7 days in summer.